Thursday, June 24, 2010

Penetang to Lost Bay

Sunday June 20 - As previously mentioned, we anchored across from Magazine Island opposite from the Discovery Center. We called the VanGeldrens and Garry came and picked us up at the Discovery Bay visitor's dock where we left the dingy. We spent the afternoon at their house, me on the internet, and Kathi and Ann out shopping for groceries and booze. I did get a much appreciated “Happy Father’s Day” text message from Jenessa, and a phone call from Aaron (we are roaming so we pay $0.49 per minute! And it adds up fast. I will have to bill the boy. Text messages cost too, but much less). We had an early dinner at 3:30pm of roast pork, mushrooms, and baked potatoes. Then back to the dingy and the boat with all the groceries, scotch, port, and beer. The dingy was full! After unloading and pulling up the anchor, we headed to Hindson's Marina to meet up with the VanGeldrens and to get a pump-out, diesel, water, and ice.

It was a real zoo as we tried to get down Penetanguishene Bay to Hindson's and to the gas dock. At Hindson's gas dock I had to turn the boat around in limited space a few times and keep it in a waiting position as the powerboats gassed up and got pump-outs and we waited our turn. Some boats tried to slip in in-front of us, but the head dock hand made sure we were all serviced in order, it was still probably a 20 to 30 minute wait. It is not easy to keep a sailboat in a waiting and ready mode (with an unfriendly wind). The VanGeldrens were ready to go and came in and shouted to us "do you really need diesel?", but after waiting 15 to 20 minutes already and needing water and ice also, we were not about to give up our spot! Finally, two powerboats left the gas dock and we were able to get in. After about 15 minutes, with the VanGeldrens waiting outside the marina, we were headed out. We called them on the VHF and powered out at full speed to catch-up.

We followed them out of Penetang Harbor past Whisky Island and towards Beausoleil Island. The entrance into Lost Bay was tricky and very narrow. It was like threading a needle to get in there! It was probably only 50 feet across the channels, but the passages were deep enough. I don't know that we would have made it without hitting rock without their guidance.

Back in Lost Bay we anchored in about 7ft of water with maybe 100ft width in the anchorage - beautiful rocky shores with pines and other foliage. Saw a deer at sunset on the Beausoleil Island National Part side. The other side is private land with a "cottage" on it. There were two other sailboats already anchored, and a powerboat joined the two of us later just before sunset. We plan to investigate the area by dingy tomorrow and then maybe on to Bone Island on Tuesday. The VanGeldrens have to be back on Thursday, so will either anchor out at Magazine Island again or get a transient slip at Hindson's Marina for a day or two.

Monday June 21 - I got up around 8:30am - currently it is 9:45am and someone is still sleeping! Spent my time reviewing charts – looking at routes to Bone Island and where we might anchor. It is a beautiful sunny morning and our solar panel is pumping out the power. We will eventually go for a swim and then probably a dingy ride. Kathi thinks she might have seen the National Park Ranger’s station when we came in last night, so we might investigate on our ride to get a trail map for Beausoleil Island National Park.

Went for swim over to the VanGeldrens’ boat and sat and talked for awhile – I was in the sun too long and got burned. Came back to our boat, had some lunch around 1pm and then went for a dingy ride. Some if these cottages are build on an exposed rock not much bigger than the house itself. Hummm… wonder what they do with their sewage? Septic tank built under a raised house? And the Honey Boat comes by to do a pump-out? Kathi and I went back to the entrance we came through last night and were able to tie up on a rock shore in calm water. We went for a walk along the solid rock shoreline for a bit. Then back to the boat for a nap or swim, and dinner with the VanGeldrens around 5pm.

Around 3:30pm, since it was sunny and hot, I decided it was a good time to cut away the bad calking on the one skylight that was leaking, remove the four screws at that end and re-calk it. The stuff I use is ‘3M Marine Adhesive and Sealant 5200’ in black. The stuff is really nasty and can get on everything, so you have to have plenty of paper towels and paint thinner on hand, and once it gets on you fingers, you sticks to anything you touch. I was doing really well up top and keeping any mess very much contained. The only mistake I made was to fill the screw holes using the stick from a Q-Tip and evidently a drop of two fell on the seat cushion below. I should have spread out that Globe and Mail newspaper, but I did not think of it until it was too late. We got the screws back in and inside nuts back on and tightened everything up. Looks like a good job, but I would unfortunately notice the ‘drip’ later that night.

Went swimming before our 5pm dinner date to cool off and examined the rudder closely and also the bottom of the dingy – boy it does need a scrubbing! Life was good. Garry and Geryl-ann came over on time and we had pork chops, broccoli, and sauerkraut. The VanGeldrens brought tarts for dessert. The also brought over their domino game and we played one called ‘Cardinal Mexican Train’. After three rounds of play I was well in the lead. Then I called it the last round – we were getting tired, and it was past sunset. Of course, in this last round I would have to pickup all kinds of tiles with high numbers on them – five tiles to be exact – and Ann called last tile and then shortly “I’m out”. Your score at then end of each round is the cumulative value of the summed tile values you are still holding. I went from the lead to dead last! – In one round! But it was still lots of fun.

We all started to get up to help Garry and Geryl-Ann on their way, when I noticed that where I was sitting there was black streaks on the cushion! (no not skid marks). My first thought was that I must have sat on deck in some of that damn black stuff, but after looking at my shorts, it was obvious that the black was on my shorts from the cushion. Then the light bulb came on and remembered the possible drip problem. I was frantic to get paper towels and paint thinner to scrub the cushion before the stuff completely hardened. I was able to scrub out 80% to 90% of the crap, but there is still an elliptical spot about ¼” long that ain’t coming out. Oh well, the boat is 20 years old, and these are the original cushions – but we had been so good at keeping them clean for so long! I let the cushion air out over night – still a little bit of a paint thinner smell if you get down really close to sniff – but that will fade, but the black spot is probably permanent (well at least until the Kraken comes to get us – Arrrr).

Tuesday June 22 – Garry was planning that we move up to the north end of Bone Island where there is a good anchorage by another section of Georgian Bay National Park, but we awoke to thunderstorms and rain. I don’t really want to venture out into these narrow passages until I am sure we won’t have nasty waves, winds and bad visibility. Kathi slept to almost 11am. I made coffee and then two fried eggs with peameal bacon for myself. Kathi, when she finally got up had some of the coffee and her usual soy milk and Kashi Go-Lean Crunch. Guess she had a little too much fun last night!

After breakfast, Kathi did her usual morning swim and went over to the VanGeldrens’ boat to get today’s ‘float plan’ update. More when she gets back… Spent most of the day laying around lounging. I swam over to the VanGeldrens’ boat  and spend a couple hours yacking and sipping some wine with them, but this time I kept the towel covering my back and shoulders – they were already making fun that “lobster season” seemed to be open. Kathi eventually swam over too. We headed back to our boat to get ready for dinner – back on the VanGeldrens’ this time. We grilled and had a nice evening drinking port.

 Leaving Hindson's and catching up with the VanGeldrens


Chart of Lost Bay on the northwest tip of Beausoleil Island with our route in marked in red to the anchorage

Threading the needle getting into Lost Bay


Following into the Bay to find the best place to anchor


Panorama shot from the transom of our boat of the Beausoleil Island National Park side of the anchorage. VanGeldrens' boat to the left in the photo.


Sign at the entrance for the route into Lost Bay, taken when Kathi and I went on our dinghy tour


View from the day marker  back out south from the route entrance on Beausoleil Island



No comments:

Post a Comment