Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Heywood Island

Wednesday August 18 - We had a nice evening visiting with other boaters either on the docks or ones that dropped by to talk to us. As is our usual habit, we had Farquhar's ice cream in a waffle cone. Got up very slowly as it was still a little chilly out there. Last night I put up all our cockpit enclosure panels up and set-up Mr Heater to keep us warm in the cockpit. I also shut most of the portals and hatches - the wind was still blowing pretty hard and it was getting cold. When we went below Mr Heater joined us.

Unfortunately, Kathi and I did not get up early enough to go up to the booth to participate with Roy. We checked-in with Roy on the Cruiser's Net. We will go do some final shopping and try to get out of here by the 11am bridge opening. As planned, we intend to head to Heywood Island. Heywood will act as our jumping off point to head to Tobermory and then back to Lake Erie.

I will add more when we get to Heywood Island, but the blog won't be updated again until we are in Tobermory and get WiFi access again...

11am bridge, 12pm bridge.. forget that, we did not leave until the1pm bridge! We headed over to Walley's to get serviced around 11:30am, but of course there was a wait as his wall was all full up. Those guys made to the 12pm bridge! Once we were done at Walley's, we just tied up on the end of the eastern most finger dock and made ourselves lunch - ham sandwiches. We did not watch the time all that carefully, and before you know it we had to scramble at 12:52pm to get off the dock and ready for the bridge. It takes the bridge awhile to start to swing open, so we were fine. Off we went a half boat length behind another sailboat as the bridge swung. After we passed under (we were quick, so the westbound boats were still on the other side of the bridge. We watched from as we passed to the east side on idiot American powerboat plow ahead right through the yellow warning buoys and ignoring the large sign saying the north side was closed and to use the south side. Not to be out done, a Canadian sailboat followed the first idiot. I yelled and waved to the sailboat to use the south channel, but he was probably too busy wondering what the yellow buoys meant.

We followed the harbor buoys out until we were just off of the Harbor Vue Marina, pulled up into the wind (which was blowing nicely - 15 knots), and hauled up the mainsail. We then made the turn around the lost red buoy and headed towards Strawberry Island Light. It was a nice sail all the way to Heywood Island. It took about an hour and a half, but still nice.

We furled the headsail just before the entrance and then dropped the mainsail once we were in the main anchorage. Once down, we took a left and went up the channel to the eastern anchorage where we were by ourselves for a couple hours. I went skinny dipping, but got back into the boat just in time as another sailboat was entering from the channel. So much for privacy... and the guy did not even stay. After anchoring twice, they decided to leave and go back to the main anchorage to the West. About a half-hour later two more boats entered one of which was Doux Amer (which I guess translates into Bitter Sweet). The other sailboat was named Wildflower as I remember. I think both were from Montreal.

Once down, we took a left and went up the channel to the eastern anchorage where we were by ourselves for a couple hours. I want skinny dipping, but got back into the boat just in time as another sailboat was entering from the channel. So much for privacy... and the guy did not even stay. After anchoring twice, they decided to leave and go back to the main anchorage to the West. About a half-hour later two more boats entered one of which was Doux Amer (which I guess translates into Bitter Sweet). The other sailboat was named Wildflower and I remember. I think both were from Montreal.

We saw a Great Blue Heron, but we see those all the time on Lake Erie. I scanned the shore with binoculars for other wildlife, and did spy what appeared to be a beaver hut. When we visited with Jenessa II the last time we were here, we saw one swim by. Well our buddy did appear again, twice! Once swimming just in front of our anchor line. I called Kathi up to see him, and then again he appeared dragging a long branch with leaves near dusk. He actually dove with the branch and went into his hut.

It was a pleasant evening, but because of our 6am wake-up alarm, we went to bed early.

Approaching the swing bridge for the 1pm opening

Farewell Little Current

Heywood Island and our route into the East anchorage

The South end of the anchorage.

Looking at the North end at near sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment