Friday, August 20, 2010

Back to Tobermory

Thursday August 19 - We got up a 6am thinking we could leave by 7am, but by 6:30am thunderstorms and downpours! We made coffee, and some breakfast, and sat awhile until the t-storms passed and the rain slowed down. We were off anchor in the East Heywood anchorage just after 8am. The rain had pretty much stopped by the time Kathi checked-in with the Cruiser's Net this morning, but we had no wind! She checked in with Roy when we were off of Skill Point Reef, just south of Centre Island, following our route into Georgian Bay and south to Tobermory. Kathi told him this was probably our last transmission and that we were heading back to Lake Erie and thanked him for visiting with us, the radio check up, and the great job he does. Roy repeated the gist of that message and added that our daughter was down in Haiti as a nurse helping the people.

We motored down past Wikwemikong and Cape Smith. The skies to the southwest looked nasty, but it all moved to the southeast and the clouds started to break-up. We finally got a Southwest wind and then West, and finally the Northwest, all blowing 10 to 15 knots most of the time. The sun came out and the skies were mostly clear. We had a pretty good sail down past Club Island and towards Flowerpot Island. The wind kept moving aft, and about 4 or 5 miles north of Flowerpot Island we gave it up, as did the other boats next to or behind us. It was pretty neat to go by the flowerpots so close too.

We pulled into Tobermory just before 5pm and haled the dock master. The dock hand who answered us said they were full and we would have to raft off! We were not so sure about that, but what were our choices? Thankfully, Carla come on a couple minutes later and told us that a boat had just left and there was space in the end of dock 1. Well, just enough room, barely! We ended up backing in with our bow probably 4ft or more beyond the end of the dock. We are transom to transom with a powerboat from Florida - nice guys. I tied a spring line, but added a big bumper off of ours anyway.

As usual, it was dinner at Crow's Nest Bar and Grill, Kathi's favorite for some reason. The food there is limited but pretty good, and the bill was very reasonable. As we walked back to the boat, Kathi spied an ice cream place. I really did not want to, but we came out with two single cones - looked like doubles to me! It was good, but a bad habit! We were boat pretty tired and Kathi went to bed by 9pm and I worked the internet for another hour.

Chart of route from Heywood Island and South past Cape Smith

Chart of route past Club Island, Flowerpot Island, and into Tobermory

Sailing South with Cape Smith in the background


The larger flowerpot on Flowerpot Island (sun was behind causing the streaking)

Looking back northward with a view of the two large flowerpots on Flowerpot Island



Friday August 20 - I got up around 7:30am. I had put on my polar fleece jacket last night because I was freezing! Kathi started out with her micro-fleece pajamas, but started to sweat and was too hot. Ah, mid-life changes! I worked the internet and this blog for awhile, but finally went of to take a shower. When I got back it was around 8:30am and I got Kathi up. She headed to the showers and I waited for her return so we could go to Craigies Restaurant for breakfast. Going to head over there shortly. I did come back from the showers and just about everyone else at the once packed wall and docks were gone! Wind is supposed to be strong from the Southeast today. Not good for us heading exactly in that direction, and waves 1 to 2 meters (3 to 6 ft). It is supposed to rain and thunderstorm tomorrow, so it is looking like Sunday heading southward. Port Elgin or Kincardine (longer haul)? It will all depend on the weather and winds... Well off to breakfast...

After breakfast we decided to go for a hike out to the Big Tub Lighthouse. It was not a very exciting hike as you have to walk around Big Tub Harbor along the roads as all the land is private and there are no trails. Out at the light house we met a couple who have been lighthouse keepers in southeastern Australia as a vacation trip/adventure. We also met two Russians from Toronto who were scuba diving off the lighthouse. They asked us to watch their gear while they dove for about a half hour. The entered the water off the rocks and onto a 2 to 3 foot deep ledge that juts out about 20 feet. After they finished adjusting their diving gear, they slid into the water off the ledge. It drops straight down about 40ft and then as they moved out further off the point they said it goes to 60ft. It was interesting to watch where they were by following their bubbles. We sat on a park bench watching the action around the lighthouse: families who came by to swim and, jump and dive off the rocks. On schedule the divers reappeared. They thanked us for watching their stuff. I told them it gave us enough time to clean out his wallet. He responded "That is OK, there was nothing in it anyway..." (of course with a thick Russian accent. We all laughed.

We hiked back to the main dock area near Little Tub Harbor and stopped at the Leeside Restaurant for lunch. Kathi had here usual BLT with no mayo and I had the perogies with grilled onions and sour cream. We both had the beef barley soup - all very good.

Kathi has decided to go for a little snorkeling near the mouth of Little Tub Harbor where there are 4 old steam tug wrecks in about 40 feet of water. I did not feel like going so I stayed back a the boat. If the sun comes back out stronger, I may dinghy over to Big Tub and have a look at the two wrecks that are there in 20 feet of water and that are about 6ft under the surface. I will also work on planned routes back south and look at the weather over the next couple of days.

Big Tub and Little Tub Harbors at Tobermory

Big Tub Lighthouse

Big Tub Lighthouse information plaque

Big Tub Lighthouse Point rocks and ledge

Divers returning from their 1/2 hour dive

We spent the evening on Silver Fox (John McGinnis and friend), a Catalina 36, talking about our adventures and travels, and sipping wine (Kathi) or Scotch (me)...

I received an email from my daughter this evening (sent 8pm) from Haiti where she is working with a team of doctors and nurses... 

From Haiti: "Things are going pretty good, there are some hard things, but it's been a good experience... it's hard to see how poor everyone is and the tent camps are a little overwhelming... I went on a 'tour' today, saw the palace and Sean Penn's tent camps, and the destruction and rubble... have talked to some of the workers here and their stories are sad, but the people do appreciate what we are doing for them." 

What can I say except that I am so proud of my daughter!

Saturday August 21 - I got up around 10:30am. Man did we have a good time with Silver Fox, or at least I feel like we did. Looking at the weather, tomorrow looks like the best time for us to make a move down to Port Elgin. We are just going to take it slow and simply reverse our original route. No long hauls if we can avoid them. Kathi wants to go hike one of the Bruce Peninsula National Park trails - probably a good idea to clear out the cobwebs! It rained overnight, but the sun seems to be poking through - hope this drys things out.

Well the Burnt Island loop trail is pretty rough - well marked and worn, but it was still damp and there were lots of large rocks to step up and down on with your typical peaty soil. There were mostly cedars and fortunately we did not see any poison ivy. Stopped off at Fish & Chips for a late lunch - early dinner. I had fish tacos and Kathi a big bowl of their very good clam chowder.

On our way to the trail head, we looked back at our boat to see 4 ducks sitting on our dinghy - pooping all over our dingy. I was supposed to take a photo, but I got busy getting the hose and nozzle ready to clean it off. I gave the dinghy a few kicks and told the mallards to buzz off. Three left, but one stubborn on kept sitting there. Well, see got the surprise of her life when I gave her a "jet" spray from the sprayer nozzle! She vacated rapidly. I had to spray off a lot of poop and then pump the dinghy out with our manual bilge pump. It started raining or I would have gotten into the now fairly dry dinghy and wiped down the tubes. 

It is going to rain again overnight with a possibility of thunderstorms, but clear by early morning. The wind is supposed to go the Northeast at 15 knots and probably backing to North 15 knots tomorrow morning with about 3ft waves. We are going to head for Port Elgin while we have some favorable wind (Northeast would be better than North, but sailors cannot be too choosy!).


A'Ghrian and Silver Fox at the end of dock 1 in Little Tub Harbor

Along the trail at the north end of Dunks Bay on the Burnt Island trail in the Bruce Peninsula National Park with Cabot Head in the distant background.

Burnt Island view on the trail in the Bruce Peninsula National Park

Interesting trees along the Burnt Island trail

 View out towards Flowerpot Island


 

No comments:

Post a Comment